||Named after a General of the Northern States army during the American civil war, the M4 Sherman was the largest mass-produced tank used by the U.S. Army in World War II. Reliable and maneuverable, the Shermans were also quite technologically advanced. The diesel version of the M4A2 was supplied to all lend-lease countries (Soviet Union, UK and France) from 1943 onwards and became the most important tank of foreign production used by the Red Army. The main armament was the 75mm US- gun M3 L/37,5. Soviet tankers called this tank "emcha" (Russian transliteration of M4). During World War II, the Red Army received more than 2000 tanks. The M4A2(75) was also in service with the US-Marine Corps in the Pacific campaign.